The Ratnagiri District has a great historical importance. It is gifted with forts, historical remains, religious places, old caves and enchantingly attractive natural places. Undoubtedly this "Ratnabhoomi" has become a major attraction of thousands of tourists. The historical but backward area the "Ratnagiri Education Society" have been providing educational facilities which is still termed as backward are so far as industrial development is concern.
The importance of higher and specialise education in the Konkan area has stated making its presence felt. In a changing scenario undoubtedly the Ratnagiri Education Society shoulder a great responsibility and faces even a greater challenge with reform in the field of education, which are underway. Globalization of all fields including field of education has forced us to look beyond our frontiers. In many ways, the Gogate Jogalekar College is a different from the other colleges from this area. Several innovative courses have been started hare, many of them with a view to employability. This College has sow and scouted the seed of higher education, fighting against the odds. Long back and at present planning for future needs of this area.
This College has opened the gates of University education to young boys and girls of this region in early fifties of the last century (i.e. in 1945). The College has been consistently achieving the several academic heights.
The campus of the college has most of the facilities needed for the modern centre of learning including an excellent Library, a Students' Centre, Boys' and Ladies' Hostels adjacent to the College premises. The College is having a modern gymnasium for the use of students and Staff.
The College host to a large numbers of the Refresher Courses and Orientation Courses on behalf of the Staff Academic College, State level Seminars and National level sports competitions.
The College is fulfilling its responsibilities towards the Society through its various constituent units and activities such as "Konkan Talent Search Examination", Centre for Competitive Examinations, Accreditated Coaching Centre for Chartered Accountants Examinations. The College also organises literacy programmes through National Service Scheme and National Cadet Corps Units. These units play significant role in development of student Leadership through Social Commitment. Extra carricular activities are associated with academic programmes with excellent results.
A high degree of comittment on the part teaching, non teaching staff and students has played a major role in the successful march of the programme.
THE PURPOSE OF EDUCATION IS TO REPLACE AN EMPTY MIND WITH AN OPEN ONE .....
Over eight decades ago, when the country was ruled under the British regime and total bisarray was the state of the day, there was a gentleman accompained by his spouse treading an unbeaten path.....nursing unusual dreams......working extraordinaly hard to realise them.
Late J.V. alias Baburao Joshi along with his wife Malatibai was struggiling to see his state, his country, bathe in the divine light of literacy and knowledge.
The great visionary and a social worker to the core, late Shri Baburao Joshi nursed a nobel dream of starting a multifaceted educational institution that would work towards the eradication of ignorance and illiteracy amongest the cross section of the society of Konkan region of Maharashtra. He was totally confident that the spread of education-along with it-would bring in self confidence and health in forming the human character. His persistance paid off in theyear 1933 when Ratnagiri Education Society was formed, initially with the objective of educating the female class. The "Mahila Vidyalaya" was the first foot-step on this expedition in the year 1925, the society came into existence legally only 1933.
The unrelenting efforts of the great pedagogue and his wife has borne fruits,...in fact, the seed they had sown has growininto a massive tree that has borne the fruits of education to the society.
Over the years, Ratnagiri Education Society has grown to be one of the most efficiently managed and run educational society in this region of Maharashtra. Started with the modest school, about eight decades ago, today, the society has created an enviable position for itself through its monumental efforts in the field of education. Presently, RE Society has over eighteen different schools, colleges and vocational and professional training institutions under its illustrious umbrella.
With over 2 lakh students benefitting so far and thousands benefitting every year, the soceity has taken firm steps towards realising its dream....the dream of spreading education....the light of knowledge .... the golden light of wisdom.
Ratnagiri Education Society's Gogate Jogalekar College endeavors to impart world class education in the local ambience to thousands of students of Ratnagiri and its surrounding at affordable price. Through its special efforts to imbibe values in mouldable minds of students, the college strives to develop responsible citizens, who respect their motherland, value ther traditions, pledge themselves to aggrandizement of the region, and in turn the country.
The following infrastructures are a few to mention -
- A campus of 13 acres of land
- Jawahar Ground spread over in 5 acres
- Badminton Court
- Gymnasium with modern instruments
- Table Tennis, Carrom, Chess Hall
- Central Library with 80,000+ books, Magazines, News Papers, Publications
- Newly constructed hostels for boys and girls with mess
- Co-operative store
- Canteen with adequate space
- Open Air Theatre used for cultural activities
- A Common Hall for conferences, seminars, workshops equipped with LCD Projector, PC, Sound System, Generator Backup
- Cultural Activities
- National Service Scheme (NSS)
- NCC - Army and Navy
- Nature Club
- Literature Forum
- Research Cell
- Sahyadri Mountaineering Club
- Astronomy Club
- Science Association
- Konkan Talent Search Examination for 8th & 9th standard students
Alongwith the infrastructure, college governs various other activities to promote the skills of its students -
The College takes special care for the upliftment of the students by supporting them with the various Scholarships, Loan Schemes, Earn & Learn Scheme with a basic intension to educate the Youth from the region, which was the Motto behind establishment of the College.
- To provide Modern Education to the Youth of Konkan Region at affordable cost for their all-round development
- To impart value based job oriented and real life education
- To empower the students through modern learning techniques and participation in curricular, co-curricular, extracurricular and extension activities
- To develop research culture among the staff & students and to carry out community oriented eco-friendly research for development of the region
- To initiate a shift from conventional teaching methods to inter-active learning techniques
- To enhance students' access to learning materials by means of departmental libraries and effective use of ICT
- To design and implement novel and effective methods of students' evaluation
- To initiate critical research related to local environmental issues & frontier technologies
- To strengthen community network by means of vital and need based outreach activities
- To empower the rural students through curricular and extracurricular activitie